Abandoned Island in New york. First inhabited in 1885 when the Riverside Hospital was relocated to the island. It was used, in part, as a quarantine location for infectious diseases such as smallpox and tuberculosis. The island housed Mary Mallon, or Typhoid Mary, for over twenty years before she died there in 1938.
Click an image below to view the entire gallery.